Friday, 20 October 2017

Who's Online

We have 2 guests online

Login Form

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
Tid Bits Of History
Fruitdale School Specifications PDF Print E-mail
Written by Claudia Worth   
Sunday, 04 September 2011



 These are very interesting enjoy 











April 20, 1927


General Notes.  (General Info. Contained in all of Temple Buell’s Bid Proposals)


Specifications specifically for the Fruitdale School


Earth Work

The excavation for new walls, footings, piers, etc., will be done by this contractor in accordance with the plans. All back fills adjacent to foundations shall be done by the Contractor with good, clean soil, well packed and any extra excavated shall be spread about the premises.  All exterior grading (i.e. raising finished grade of premises one foot) will be done by owner.  (The farmers in the area did this according to oral histories)


                                                Concrete Work 

All concrete footings to be of size and as located on drawings and to be set in plank forms if so directed.  All concrete walls to be carried to under side of first floor joists except as shown otherwise.  Work must be carried on only under foreman having had thorough experience in this class of work, and special attention must be given to the quality of labor, materials and workmanship. Dimensions indicated on drawings shall be considered a minimum.



All cement furnished form this work shall be subject to inspection and tests.  Cement shall be delivered at the job so as to allow time for necessary tests. A suitable shelter place shall be provided for the storage of all cement, and no cement shall be used that has absorbed sufficient moisture to cause the cement to granulate or become lumpy when thoroughly dried.



The sand shall consist of grains of any moderately hard rock that is perfectly sound.  The sand shall be well graded from course to fine any sand containing over 5% of loam, or clay, or any foreign matter of any kind will be rejected. 



The aggregate shall be composed of gravel and shall be free from dirt and shall range in size up to an inch.



All concrete floors, walls, footings, sills, etc., etc., shall be proportioned of one part Portland Cement and two parts sand and four parts gravel. Exterior walls below grade to have one heavy coat of “Werco”. All toppings and cement base to be one part Portland cement and two parts clean sharp sand trowelled down to a good hard surface, and shall be 1” thick on reinforced work and 1” thick on other floors.  See detail for cement base.



When concreting is commenced it must be carried on vigorously to completion if possible. The plans where concrete work is stopped must be vertical, and at right singles to the direction of walls, slabs, etc, in no event shall work be terminated where future shearing action becomes great as directly under a heavily concentrated load.



All reinforcing steel shall meet the requirements of the Standard Specifications for Billet-Steel Concrete Reinforcement Bars of the A.S.T.M. serial designation A15 –14. See notations on reinforcing steel on the plans.



The centering must be true and rigid, properly braced and of sufficient strength to carry without deflection, the dead weight of the construction as liquid. All joints must be tight so as to prevent the concrete is thoroughly set and is of sufficient strength carry its own weight together with that of whatever live load is liable to come on the floors during constructions.



All concrete must be machine mixed using a batch mixer, Fresh clean water free from acids, oil or alkali shall be used, and in sufficient quantity so that the resulting mixture will floe readily.  No “wet” or “sloppy” concrete will be permitted... All materials must be thoroughly mixed dry after which the proper amount of water shall be added and the mix continued until the concrete is uniform. A competent foreman must be in constant attention and attendance at the mixer to approve every batch that leaves the mixer.



All forms must be clean and free from shavings or foreign matter before any concrete is place. All concrete must be deposited in forms within ten minutes after leaving the mixer.  During operation of pouring the sides of walls and beams must be well spaded to obtain a smooth surface when the forms are removed. Beams and slabs to be filled from bottom of beams to top of slabs in one continuous operation.



Forms shall be constructed of a good grade of lumber so that sides of walls and slabs can be easily stripped without in the least disturbing other work. Wall forms to be secured to a line and properly wired and braced so as to insure perfect alignment. All wires in walls, floors, etc., shall be out of flush with the surface before water-proofing, plaster, etc., is applied.



All cement floors shall be topped the same day as run, except reinforced slabs and stairs, and shall consist of one part Portland Cement and two parts sand.  All floors shall be trowel led down to a smooth, hard surface. All concrete floors shall have 1” top finish.  Cement base to be set on meal lath on stud walls.



Parapet walls to have cement on top where shown on drawings of same mix as specified for floors and with pitch on top so that water will drain on roofs.




The mortar used for all common brickwork shall be composed of freshly burned lime and clean sharp sand tempered with 10% of Portland Cement, and colored as directed her-in-after for facing.



All brick walls as shown on drawings except where otherwise specified shall be built to the height and thickness shown, of approved hard burned common brick, laid in mortar as above specified.



Headers shall be put in every seventh course and all walls shall be thoroughly bonded, having all joints solidly filled with mortar, All walls shall be perfectly plumb inside and outside, and they shall be perfectly level. All frames shall be thoroughly flushed with mortar so as to be perfectly wind tight. The contractor shall leave the necessary openings in smoke and vent flues and furnish and put in place iron thimbles extending clear through to the inside of the smoke flues.



This contractor shall build the chimneys as shown on drawings, and flues shall be straight and true and of uniform size thorough out.  Opening to boiler flue to have one row-lock around.  Boiler flue to be lined throughout with 24” dia... hubless, glazed tile pipe.  All flues shall be provided with cleanout holes and cast iron doors and frames at the bottom and as soon as chimney tops are completed flues are to be cleaned out and all rubbish removed, and the openings bricked up.  Kitchen flue to be plastered smoothly on inside with cement mortar.  (The upstairs had and apartment in it for the custodian.)



All exterior walls except where otherwise directed shall be faced with an approved red pressed brick, all to be laid up in 2-3/4”cooures with a neat struck joint of red cement mortar.  Flemish bond headers shall be put in every seventh course.  These brick shall match perfectly the salvaged red pressed brick previously noted to be used on this work. All ornamental exterior brick base courses, spandrels, friezes cornices, including chimney top, are to be of various shades of rug brick as select details shown, and in mortar as previously specified, colored black.  Allow the sum of $25.00 per thousand for these bricks.


This contractor shall build in and solidly bed all girders, beams, plates, anchors, etc. furnished for the job.



The contractor shall clean the entire brick cement , and stone (or Terra Cotta) work pointing up all defective joints and cleaning the mortar off the window sill s and projecting courses and leaving the building in first class condition without exception as far as his work is concerned.  Any patching necessary on cement walls shall be done immediately on removal of forms.



The two panels over the main entrances also the base corner blocks molded as shown on the plans and finished in imitation of Indiana White Limestone.  Inscription in the door panels to be:

Jefferson County, District No. 32”



Submit separate price for the installing the above material of pulsichrome terra cotta, as made by the North Western Terra Cotta Co., of Denver.


Bearing Plates

The mason shall furnish all steel bearing plates as furnished by the steel sub-contractor.



All window sills, except where otherwise shown, shall be of brick pitched to drain and laid in pure Portland Cement mortar.



The chimney cap shall be of rug brick as detailed, laid in pure cement and cemented on top.



This contractor shall at the completion of this work remove all rubbish broken brick scaffolding, etc., joints, and leave the premises in first class condition as far as his work is concerned.




This contractor shall render assistance to other contractors in every way in which his special work can be of service to them, and such assistance shall be given promptly and thoroughly and without additional charge.  The contractor is expected to provide all detail drawings necessary for the manufacture and erection of all steel work in the building, the same to subject to the approval of the Architect, before the steel called for shall be ordered.



Structural steel shall conform to the Standard Specifications for Structural Steel for Buildings of the A.S.T.M. serial designation A-9-21.



The contractor shall set all iron and steel as herein specified, and as shown.  The contractor shall do all drilling, chipping, etc. necessary for the securing and proper fitting of all his work, and shall provide all open holes or screw holes and do all drilling and chipping required by the carpenter or other contractors necessary for fastening their work to the iron work.  He shall also furnish all necessary screws; bolts beam anchors, rods, etc., required for this work.  All 18” I-beams to be furnished with ¾” dia. Government anchors.




Provide all steel beams and angles where shown on drawings, except where noted as furnished by Owner of sizes shown. All brick openings have steel lintels over one foot longer than openings.  Where shown all structural members to be provided with steel bearing plates of the sizes noted, and set by the mason.



Provided a no.12 MAJESTIC 30x24 iron coal chute where shown on drawings, in same location where present one is placed.  (Note: this part of the building was reused and can be seen in the north of the basement.)



Provide and install as noted under brickwork, cast iron clean-out doors and frames for the two chimneys. C.O. door for kitchen flue to be 6”x6” and for boiler flue 8”x12”.


Provide and set the 11/2” iron railing at the basement areaway as shown.


Furnish and install on each tread of all interior concrete stairs, a 3” Mason Safety Tread, per detail, securely anchored to the concrete and extending to within 3”of each end of the tread.


At completion of the iron work the contractor shall remove all rubbish scaffolding, etc, and shall leave the work in perfect condition.




All finish lumber shall be the best of its kind, thoroughly dry, well seasoned, and free from defects all joints to be butt joints wherever possible. All dimension lumber (2” or more) shall be No.1 Douglas or Oregon Fir.  All wood top floors to be red oak common. All interior wood finish except where otherwise noted shall be plain oak except interior quarter –round moulds.  All basement trim to be fir for painting.  All trim in boy’s and girl’s toilets to be of pine for paint.



The contractor shall furnish and install all rough hardware needed in connection with the work specified herewith.  The shelf hardware shall be bought by the Owner, but this contractor shall receipt for, be responsible for, and install the shelf hardware.



All finished woodwork shall be well framed doweled and glued together.  It shall be finished smooth and sandpapered so that no sand or plane lines show across the grain.



Cover all rough wood floor joists with 7/8” thick pine boards laid diagonally and laid close.  Each board shall be doubly nailed to each joist, Joists shall be double at partitions and must be bridged once in each span more than eight feet , and as otherwise shown with 2”x3”pine properly out in and securely nailed.  All headers and trimmers shall be doubled and shall have at least 4” bearings on walls.



Furnish and install all wood bucks required, and all grounds for the plastering, furring strips, and all interior trim, Install securely all wood bricks necessary for securing work to masonry.



Studs for wood partitions shall be set 16” on centers with single soles and double plates.  Wood partitions to be blocked with 2” material having, one row where the height is less than nine feet, and two rows in all other cases. Studding shall be doubled at all angles, corners, and openings, Wood partitions joining masonry walls shall be anchored with ½”x8” bolts opposite the lines of blocking.  All stud partitions to be 2”x4” unless otherwise indicated on the drawings. Where 4”soil or vent pipes occur install 6”studs.



Joists shall be anchored to the wall every four feet with iron anchors3/16”x 3’0”spiked to the joists and fastened to the brick wall to a ½” bar 6” long.



The toilet stalls etc., shall be Weisteil or equal, with baked enamel finish and adjustable legs. Partitions to be furnished and installed by this contractor. Provide adequate overhead bracing for toilet stalls consisting of extensions of overhead brace bars to adjacent walls or partitions.



See the door schedule.  All exterior doors shall have 1-3/4” thick and rabeted pine frames.  Main entrance frames to be cantered mullion.  Interior door frames to be 1-1/8” thick with stops nailed on except where otherwise shown.



All window frames shall be clear Mexican Pine standard detail, with rabetted sills.  All double hung sash to be 1-3/4” thick and mortised and tenoned, with muntins as shown.



All doors sash, etc., unless marked otherwise on the plans shall be glazed with Libby-Owen’s D.S. Grade glass.  This contractor shall be responsible for all glass until accepted by the Owner.



All doors between rooms having different floor materials shall have oak thresholds.  Main entrances to have iron thresholds consisting of 2”x2”toes anchored into the concrete work.



Wood base throughout to be ¾”x51/2” with one edge rounded and with two quarter-rounds U.M.D. 8422.   Trim shall be U.M.D. 8308 except strip between corkboard and blackboard to be U.M.D. 8627.  Chair rail to be U.M.D. 8626.  Picture moulds shall be U.M.D. 8263, and shall be installed in all class rooms, corridors and Assembly.



Furnish and install where shown the “Sterling Slats Blackboard”, 3/16” thick, with smooth surface, and deep black color, Joints to be ground straight and true, and after setting, to form a uniform, plane, smooth, surface.  Furnish and install above blackboards as shown, the Armstrong1/2” thick cork bulletin and tack boards.



The roof rafters shall be covered with native common flooring laid close and nailed to every rafter. The contractor shall furnish and lay a Carey specification No. Seven or equal, built up roofing over all the roof as shown, including new roof over basement, and shall paint the rear of all parapet walls from roof to coping with two coats of pitch.  The roofing contractor shall flash all walls where they intersect the roof.  Roofing must be laid by an approved representative, according to the manufacturer’s directions, and guaranteed for ten years.



All external angles where the plaster is specified on the inside of the building, except window and door heads, shall have ¾” rab. bull nose corner heads rigidly fastened to the wall. The base scored for all cement base shall be Knapp No.49.



Build where shown in the kitchen ceiling, a neat scuttle of M.&B. ceiling with tin covered door at roof,, set on *” curb with hasp and padlock.



Where flush light fixtures are indicated in soffit panels over main entrances, this contractor is to frame for same and install metal lath and stucco finish for the panels up to and flush with the fixture boxes to be furnished and installed by the electricians.



When all work has been completed the carpenter shall sweep broom clean the entire building, removing all rubbish, and leaving this building and premises in a thoroughly finished condition as far as his work is concerned.



New floors of cement. No. bas. Ceilings plastered with cement plaster on metal lath throughout. Fir O.G. trim for paint. Basement stairway of fir risers and yellow pine treads, and fir hand rail and neuel post.




Floor and base of cement. Oak, trim, hook, strips, chair rail and picture mould. Walls and ceilings plastered sand finish. Wainscot 4’-0” high. Hand rails at stairs of 2” oak.



Floors of 7/8”x21/4” face red oak common. Walls and ceilings plastered sand finish. Trim, base and picture mould of oak.



Floors and base of concrete; walls and ceilings plastered and sand finish. Winscot 4’-0” of Keanes cement on metal lath.





Cement floor and base. Oak trim, chair rail, picture mould, walls and ceilings plastered sand finish. Wainscot 4’-0” high.



Floors to 7/8”x 2-1/4 “face reed oak common.  Walls and ceilings plastered sand finish except ceiling of Assembly Room which shall be of Celotex paneled and stripped as shown.  Trim, base, and picture moulds of oak.


Floor of 71/8” x2-1/2” face red oak common, walls and ceiling plastered sand finish. Trim, including kitchen case, base, of pine for painting.



All outside woodwork shall receive three coats of Collier’s White Lead ground in pure linseed oil with color added as directed.  Al work to be neatly puttied.  All outside metal work, including all galvanized iron pipe railings, metal thresholds, etc., shall receive one coat of the best metallic paint and two coats of lead and oil paint; color to be selected by the Architect.



Boiler and Coal rooms, Store Room, Toilets, Kitchen, etc., to receive three coats of lead and oil paint with color added as directed.  All other woodwork except where otherwise shown or specified to receive one coat of Martin’s Amber-Lyte with brown oil stain added as directed, one coat of Martin’s 100% Pure Interior Finish Varnish, and one coat of Martin’s 100 % Pure Velour Finish, according to manufacturer’s directions.



All oak floors shall receive one coat of Martin’s Amber-Lyte, all according to manufacturer’s directions.



The walls and ceilings of all rooms shall be left unpainted except as otherwise specified.  The Waincots in the Boy’s and Girl’s Toilets shall have “Barreled Sunlight” applied according to manufacturer’s directions and with color added as directed.



The painters shall not mix their paint on the finished floor in any part of the building.  At completion of the work, the contractor shall remove all rubbish and material pertaining to his work and shall clean all woodwork, glass, floors, etc., leaving the entire premises in perfect condition as far as his work is concerned.





All tin used must be of the best quality stamped sheets of Taylor’s or Scoot’s Old Style Tin I.C. All galvanized iron to be No. 24 gauge.



All joints must be neatly made, well fitted and locked, and securely riveted and tightly soldered.



The wrought iron down spouts in chases shall be furnished and installed by the plumbing contractor.  All other down spouts, gutters, etc., of 24 Ga. galv. sheet iron by the sheet metal contractor. Provide g.i. wire mesh baskets over all outlets from gutters.



Furnish and install two 12” dia. Ventilators of Globe make or equal, equipped with dampers and control chains leading to the south wall of Assembly room.


Furnish and install two 5’-0” square skylight frames made up in accordance with details shown, and provided with condensation gutters longitudinally with the skylight bars and also along the low side of the skylight to collect condensation and drip to roof.



Where shown on the drawings, provide and install side cowls to the hinged, sash over the Girl’s Toilet, fastened to the jamb stops and provided with lips to hold sash when open.  See detail.



Flash scuttle, skylights, ventilators, and all vertical surfaces, except as specified for roofing contractor.



Heating contractor will furnish and erect necessary smoke pipe.



Lath all ceilings and all stud walls throughout , except where metal lath or Celotex is specified with first quality No.1 Mexican lath, put on with wire nails, all well seasoned, free from bark or bad knots, wet before putting on and well nailed.  In lathing care must be taken to break joints at least every 18”  and over all openings.  Lath on ceilings to be spaced 3/8” apart and 5/16” on partitions.  Lathing thru angled will not be permitted.  All corners must be made solid before lathing.



Cover all recesses in brick walls , stud walls where cement base occurs, wood and metal over window, soffits over entrances, conduits, boiler, and coal room ceilings, and wainscoting in toilets, steel, etc., with painted expanded metal lath, #24 gauge, well lapped and wired at the joints.



The ceiling of the Assembly Room shall be Celotex applied according to the manufacturer’s directions,  All joints in panels to be covered with Celotex strips as shown.



All walls, ceilings, soffits, and partitions throughout the building to be plastered with two coats on brick, and three coats on lath in best manner, coal room ceilings as specified or marked.



The mortar to be mixed with the best quality Ideal , Ivory, Buckhorn, or other hard wall plasters as approved and according to manufacturer’s directions, and fibered or unfibered   as the work requires.  The scratch coat to be applied with sufficient force to give a good clinch to the mortar, to be brought up to grounds and down to floor.  The brown coat to be floated to a uniform surface, and brought up to the grounds and down to the floor and to be straightened to make true and even walls and square angles,  and allowed to dry before finishing.



Walls or ceilings as marked or specified to have Portland Cement plaster.  Toilet room wainscots of Keene Cement.



All walls and partitions, ceilings, and soffits, throughout the entire first and second floors, except as otherwise noted, to have a sand finish. All corners to be true and plumb and all plastering to be of an even thickness. Rod all angles to make them straight.  Patch up after the carpenters and mechanics in as careful and skillful a manner as possible. All cracks and defects must be made good and removed, if required, and replaced by proper work.  Report all untrue partitions to the carpenters for correction.



In cold or freezing weather, heat must be supplied night and day to dry the work.








The entire electrical work shall be installed in strict accordance with the latest rules and requirements of the National Fire Underwriter’s Board, the local ordinances, and the rules of the local light company.  No electrical device of material of any kind to be used that is not approved by the Underwriters National Electrical Association, and all articles must have the name or trade mark of the manufacturer and the rating in volts and amperes or other proper units, marked where they may be readily observed after the work is installed, Contractor must obtain a certificate of inspection from the local inspector of Fire Underwriters.



Contractor to take and pay for all wiring permits.



The minimum for any outlet except as otherwise marked, will be 50 watts. The wires must be of such size as to properly carry the current and the number of outlets and lights marked on the plans, so that the drop in potential at farthest outlets shall not exceed two percent, under maximum load.  All work must be put in good working order, From the front of the building connect to the lighting Company’s feed and run the main feed wire to main line switch in cabinet about eight feet above floor in the new basement stairway and thence to the distributing cabinets. Corridor, stair, and exit lights to be controlled from panel board at entry, as shown.  Assembly and Stage lighting to be controlled from cabinet in stage wall where indicated.  Exit lights to be recess pattern where possible. For lights in soffits over main entrances, install 8”x 14” flush exit boxes equipped with plain frosted glass panels.  Box faces to be of removable type.  All wire to be new code standard, approved by Underwriters.



 All wires to be encased in rigid iron conduits, as required by the local ordinances and the rules of the Fire Underwriters Association.



Wire for all switches as required by drawings, marked “S” or as hereafter specified.  All switches to be placed in iron boxes and properly insulated and to be H & H. of G.E. tumbler type.



The light fixtures are not included in this contract, but will be selected by the Owner and the Architect at a later date.



Provide duplex convenience outlets at sides of stage as shown on plans.  These to be of H.& H. or G.E. type.



All panel boards shall be Westinghouse, dead-front, type C.T., 20 amperes, or Frank Adam of equal quality and type.



The electrical contractor shall install outlets for and make all connections to motors for water pressure tank and sump pump which will be furnished by the plumber.



Last Updated ( Wednesday, 25 February 2015 )
W, 38th in 1941 PDF Print E-mail
Written by Claudia Worth   
Friday, 10 October 2008

With the Ballot Issues to change the Wheat Ridge Charter to take out height and density limits this November, that would change the look of our historic


city, we have had several  inquiries of late about what W. 38th Avenue looked like in the late 30’s early 40’s.  While doing research for individuals on their

parent’s home we came across this article in one of the abstracts that we have in our collections.



The East Jefferson, Sentinel Edgewater, Colorado Thursday August 28, 1941


(Prospect Trail of Long Ago)

Has kept pace with the years, and in its transition from an avenue of homes surrounded by beautiful trees and flower gardens, has been developed first. by a set of fearless pioneers and later by progressive business men, from the trail of the old time gold seekers into one of Jefferson county’s main business throughfares –




by Mrs. Lulu, Trago

Wheat Ridge, Colorado

We have felt for some time that 38th ave. or the Middle Golden as it is sometimes called, deserves and should have a write-up, with a little of its past, its present, and a few of its pioneers thrown in for good measure.

This avenue early days, Prospect avenue, and long before that Prospect Trail.  A very fine marker to that effect may be seen at Elitch’s Gardens, on the paved walk north of the display windows.  This marker of bronze and was presented to the avenue May 21 1936, by the Daughters of Colorado, in honor of the gold seekers of 1856.

We understand that at one time a portion of this avenue west of Wadsworth, had a row of large shade trees growing in the center of it, and that an irrigation ditch or flume ran calmly along the center of it, also , a la 17th Avenue Parkway.


Well, times and avenues have changed should you have reason to doubt it, drive out and see for yourself.


The Wheat Ridge, 38th avenue of which I write, starts at Sheridan

Boulevard on the east and goes to Mt. Olivet on the west.  The avenue is

 paved all the way, and it also has a sidewalk as far as the brow of the hill, just west of the Lutheran Sanitarium, which is about two miles from the end of the bus line.

Driving west from the county line, at Sheridan Boulevard, we see before us a wonderful vista.  The avenue seems to be lined with trees, and far in the distance, at the end of the street are the lofty Rocky Mountains looming up to form a natural picture that any artist would delight to paint.

On this drive west during the daylight hours, we can obtain a very clear view of the snow capped Continental Divide; the fertile valleys, with Long’s Peak in the distance, also the entrance to two large canyons, the Clear Creek and Coal Creek canyons. We can see Look Out Mountain large letter “M” which represents our famous, Colorado School of Mines and Mt Evans.

At our right two mountain railroads can be plainly seen; one of these, the Moffat and Rio Grande, goes through the famous Moffat tunnel on over the divide to Salt Lake City, and finally reaches the Pacific coast.

At night, when all the lights are lighted this is a wonderful drive.  The many lights in the town of Arvada, also the lights of the Wheat Ridge Farm Dairy on W. 44th avenue, with the Leyden interurban cars in the distance, makes a grand display. However, this is not all, the incoming trains of the Moffat road, coming cautiously down the mountainside in and out through the many tunnel combined with the lights of automobiles coming down Lookout Mountain, make a site long to be remembered, especially those of us who were raised in the Middle West.

The large light on Buffalo Bill’s grave on Lookout Mountain shines out every night and to the far east we can see the two tall beacon lights at the Denver airports.

We will now take a daytime trip and start at Olivet Avenue and go east, and take note of some of the gardens and homes on the Middle Golden Road.

We first pass the James Lee ranch with its large rambling red brick house, which reminds us of the pictures we have seen of the poet, Longfellow’s home.  The Lee home was built in 1884. 

On the south we see the well kept gardens of  R. G. Bassett, who came to this community from England in 1892.

Next come James Connollee who came here from Virginia in 1908, and the gardens of Miss Florence Anderson, whose parents came here in 1887.

We pass a thriving Red and White store, owned by Robert Rackley, and just across the street is the Prospect Valley school house which, was erected in 1923 and is a neat sturdy little four room brick building where children in the Prospect Valley can obtain work in the first eight grades to fit them to enter Wheat Ridge High School.  For nearly five years there has been a Sunday school held there, where children in the neighborhood, not attending elsewhere, can obtain Christian training.  The Sunday school is undenominational. Before reaching Howell avenue, we pass the Mile High Poultry Farm No. 1, which is second to none in Colorado.  Across the street is the home of the late Matt Haakenson, one time county assessor of Jefferson County.

The fine new residence of Albert Bongers deserves special attention, also the two story red brick Willow Springs store.  We notice the fine gardens of Gus Bloom, L.M. Moore, Teddy Erickson, John Crane and Roxie Losasso. Gus Bloom and Roxie Lossasso specialize in the famous Pascal celery.

The Prospect Valley Motor Inn, owned by Howard Crowe, has a good location and does a very good business. 

Near the late Gotfried Anderson ranch, we pass the good looking home of Mr. and Mrs. Sloniker and their son Gordon.  This place was formerly the Alfred Anderson home.  Gotfried Anderson and A.E. Johnson, the father of Oscar, Ellen and Myrtle Johnson, opened the first road form Wadsworth Avenue to Howell Avenue.

It is a far cry from this road or trail of 1887 to the West 38th avenue of 1941.  This street is directly connected with the city of Denver, and a stranger could not tell where Denver ends and Wheat Ridge begins.

Across from the Willow Springs grocery is the Glorieta Nursery, the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. J. White. They have 25 acres of fruit trees, shrubs, and flowers.

We pass the A.L. Doud and Swan Pearson ranches and come to the country home of Joe Pearson and wife.  Mr. Pearson came to this country from Sweden in 1887 and has always lived on the Middle Golden Road.  In 1905 they built their present home and set out the maple twigs that are now 36 years later, trees that bring shade and comfort on hot days.  Their five children are all married and gone.  Mr. Pearson deals in real estate and is connected with the Golden Bank at the present time.

 Mrs. Cora Taggart, a former postmistress at Wheat Ridge, lives in her neat brick bungalow adjoining the Pearson home.  Just across the avenue is the Lutheran Sanitarium, where patients come from all over the United States to rest and breathe this good., health giving ozone, which is found in much abundance in this mile high altitude, and this air is free to all, both rich and poor.  Thank God for good clean mountain air.

Just east of this sanitarium is the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Yousse.  Mr. Yousse is a contractor.

The next garden was the home of the late. J.B. Trago who came to this county in 1876, and resided in this home for 35 years.

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson own the Wheat Ridge Nursery at 7800 West 38th Avenue.  They hope in time to extend it to all of their ten-acre tract


Just before reaching Wadsworth Avenue we come to the famous Wilmore Dahlia Farm, which was the first of its kind to be started in Wheat Ridge and is very likely the largest dahlia farm in Colorado.  Mr. Wilmore and his wife came to their present home in March 1885.  They built up a fine business all over the United States.  When the writer asked him if this was not the case, he smiled his slow smile and said; “Yes, and to England, Australia, India, China and Puerto Rico.”  Mr. Wilmore has retired now and his son, Scott, who lives in an attractive home adjoining on the west is the manager. Mr. Wilmore’s former large red brick house has been replaced by a very nice new modern home of white pressed brick.  Mr. W. W. Wilmore and Mr. Joe Pearson may be seen as they appear today in the picture below.  (The picture is available for view at the Wheat Ridge Historical Society Museum.)

These two men have been outstanding in making West 38th avenue what it is today, one of the best, if not the best residential district outside of Denver.

The new edifice, which stands at the junction of Wadsworth and W.38th Avenues, is the Wheat Ridge Community Church.  This building was erected in 1930 at the cost of $15,000 and has a membership of 356. The Rev. Richard L. West is the pastor.  A comfortable parsonage stands near the church.

The R.T. Davis outdoor nursery is across the street, and is one of the beauty spots of this avenue.  It is run by R.T. Davis and his wife Lucy Wilmore Davis and assisted by their son Melrose.

Wesley Slater and his wife live just east of this nursery.  Mr. Slater is a real pioneer, having lived in and around Wheat Ridge all of his life.  Mrs. Slater runs a fruit and vegetable market, a very good market by the way, and it is closed over Sunday, which is very commendable.

The neat home and attractive grounds of Homer L.Pearson representative from Jefferson County, comes next.  He,  with his brother. Joe Jr., have a thriving greenhouse at the rear of this home.

We might mention here the Ruth Benson nursery.  the Katt nursery and the Schumann green house, making in all nine nurseries and green houses on this avenue; also just across Sheridan are the world famous Elitch’s gardens.

Another very nice country home as we came along the avenue was the Henry Willis residence a 7700 where the popular “Heiny” resides with his wife and two children.


We now come to the business section.  The Home Owned Store which does a fine business, winter or summer, rain or shine, depression or no depression, owned and run by the genial and obliging Earl Chambers, who is everyone’s friend.  In the same block with him is a café, run by Al Green, the office of the Wheat Ridge Water company, and a fine up to-date drug store ably managed by Ross Gordon.

Across the street is the new $129,000 Wheat Ridge High School, with a good grade school on the same grounds.  Mr. Paul Stevens is the superintendent, and Miss Ellen Johnson is the principal of the grade school.  This school rates high and parents often move to this community to send their children to this school.  It was built in 1936.

Across from the high school we find the location where the two Weakland brothers, John and Walter, continue to make friends and gain new customers in their gas, oil and ice business.  In the same block with them is a barbershop and grocery store.  This is the Fred Bunger block. 

George Hively has put up a fine new building in which he displays a good line of hardware and paints.  His wife assists him in the store, while he operates a blacksmith shop in the rear.

Also in this businesses district is the Barnee Garage and Dry Goods Store owned by Mr. Joe Bickley.  Then there is a trailer camp and a novelty store.

The Wheat Ridge Post Office stands on the corner of the old Holley ranch.  Mrs. Roxie Broad is the capable postmistress and Charlene Riedel her able assistant.  The Holleys were also pioneers and came to this place in 1877.  This ranch is now sub-divided into lots for comfortable dwellings.  A part of it is called “Upland Acres”.

There are some modern apartments west of the post office and Percy Haskins has a real estate office just east.  Across the avenue is the home of W.F. Smith.  Mr. Smith is employed at the state capitol.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Bunger came here in 1890.  They too are pioneers.  Br. Bunger was one of the persons responsible for having the post office changed from Edgewater to Wheat Ridge.  He was the first postmaster at Wheat Ridge.

We notice the Cosmopolitan Courts, erected by Mrs. Al Anderson and also a little farther on the large modern garage owned and operated by Al Anderson.

Just across the avenue are the good looking homes of Mrs. Hattie Witham and the estate known as Pinehurst.

Green Bowers, owned by Charles Wilmore, is one of the many nurseries and fine well kept suburban homes on this avenue of beautiful homes.

We find many more filling stations before we reach Sheridan Blvd. and the Pence and Sedgley Garage; also near here is the Woodside Lumber Company, the Anderson Coal and Feed Company., The Mountain View Creamery and a large Safeway store. The land just south of here was formerly owned by Mrs. Burch one of the few remaining pioneers, who has her home near by.  Many fine up to the minute homes have been erected on this land and also on the land known as Stewart’s gardens;  north of the avenue Alex Ritchie and his wife also live at these gardens.  They two are pioneers.

We are pleased to record the fact that no intoxicating beverages are sold on this stretch of West 38th Avenue.

The rapid growth of this entire Wheat Ridge district is exemplified by the manner in which the choice locations in the Pearson-Woodside addition; located just south of 38th Ave. on Sheridan have been bought up by prospective homeowners.  Mr. Woodside informs us that since they platted this district about one year ago, that 43 new homes have been completed there.

Drive out and enjoy all the natural beauties, the many out door nurseries, the dahlia farms, and the very good roads.  West 38th has all of these, and we also have a very fine class of loyal patriotic American citizens.

Long Live West 38th avenue, the Middle Golden Road, the old Prospect Trail of long ago.

Last Updated ( Thursday, 04 September 2014 )
History of Wheat Ridge PDF Print E-mail
Written by Claudia Worth   
Tuesday, 29 July 2008



This is the first chapter of the booklet Printed by the Historical Committee it is copyrighted in 1971.   The Booklet is available for sale at the Museum.


Wheat Ridge Colorado has a unique heritage.  It’s early history actually began with the Gold Rush of 1859. Early in 1858 news reached Omaha, Nebraska and Lawrence, Kansas that gold had been discovered in the foothills of the Rockies on Cherry Creek.  Since the money panic of 1857 had caused severe unemployment and had broken many farmers in the East, the discovery of gold seemed an opportunity to better their condition.       

Thousands of persons came 600 miles over the dangerous plains.  Some traveled by covered wagon or horseback.  Others walked and many pushed handcarts similar to those used by the Mormons a few years before. “Pikes Peak or Bust” became their unforgettable slogan.

This booklet is in it's second printing and is now available at the museum 4610 Robb St. Remember we are open Fri. from 10a.m. until 3p.m. 

We have also printed new sets of Peter Graves sketches in note cards. these are also available at the museum.  Wonderful for that special note to someone.            

Last Updated ( Thursday, 04 September 2014 )
© 2017 Wheat Ridge Historical Society